Some people do not even consider getting a stair lift or other device because they believe they cannot afford one. Here is some information about loans and grants that may be able to help you get the assistance you need.

You should check with your insurance as some long term care coverage will pay for the lift itself. The Veteran’s Administration (VA) has a program that would help with the costs of a lift. You can contact the VA Office at 1-877-222-VETS or

Home Ownership Loans can be used for home modifications. To find a local Rural Development area office near you, visit or go to or call (530)792-5820, (530)792-5848 (TDD). Each State’s Assistive Technology program helps with Loans and/or Grants for disabled persons. Go to to get the contact information for your state.

Banks often offer loans to finance home modification projects such as putting in a lift. Contact yours for more information. HUD may be able to counsel you on options. Call (888)466-3487 for the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) are available to make home modifications.

A list of Housing and Community Development Agencies can be found at or by calling the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials at (877) 866-2476.

Federal Housing Administration part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) can help you find home modification loans. Contact or call them at (202) 708-1112. A local FHA lender can be found by visiting You may want to get a copy of IRS Publication 502 to see if you can get help with home modifications. Contact the IRS by visiting or call (800) 829-3676. Rural Housing Services (RHS) Section 502.

Often the Area Agencies on Aging can help you locate funds with Older Americans Act- Title III. To locate the Area Agency on Aging in your community, call the Eldercare Locator at (800) 677-1116 or visit